Saturday, March 22, 2008

Yun Jin's Reflection

Annual Training Camp 2008, 10-12 March, Camp Christine.

Basically, I think that camp was very fun! Partly because of the fact that we didn’t do a lot of punishments because we managed to finish everything in the proposal (according to ma’ams) and because it kept raining.

However, I’m glad that the rain didn’t dampen our moods although it always came at the wrong time, for example during outdoor cooking.

This year’s camp was more efficient in my opinion, because instead of the usual human chain, we just took everything we could on our hands and took them onto the bus and down the bus. I think this is way more efficient because by passing one thing to one another takes up quite some time.

Instead of tent pitching I went to do the kitchen shelter because I was the QM for my patrol. Pitching it was rather easy because the seniors were there to help us and guide us on what we should do. (Side note: I almost fell down with the kitchen shelter because I was the one holding the upright)

Gadget making was very confusing because there weren’t enough 72” poles to go around, and my patrol had to make do with 36” ones. And we were supposed to build the baggage rack at the back but we built it at the front instead. But I guess it was okay because it didn’t really affect us much.

I love the games that we played! I think they were very fun! I think the seniors really racked their brains to think of such games, so thanks! I love the sandwich game especially, because it really required our co-operation! Although the tomato dropped like 5 times and the sandwich was so dirty, we still ate it! :D

Night game was a test of courage, really. I think Daxaniie and Cheryl Low were really brave to be at the two ends! But the station at the lodge was really funny, Kellyn ma’am just burst out laughing when we said some random stuff. But the one at the dorm was really scary! Ma’am confiscated our torchlights so we couldn’t see anything. And plus the previous year’s experience, anyway we were really scared. I think I have a phobia of Camp Christine's dormitry. And we were allowed to scream! Which is so much better because screaming is like a reflex action which we can’t really control. And I really thought Kellyn ma’am choked on tictac and died.

On the second day we were late in the morning because we took our time to take out the groundsheet and newspapers. Did stretching exercises and ran outside Camp Christine and we had to sing while running. I bet everybody was out of breath, but it lifted my spirits and I felt happier, probably due to the hormones released while running.

Then me, yujia and peixuan were part of colour party! I think it’s very cool! But it was also very scary because I was scared that I would screw things up.

Although we didn’t manage to do outdoor cooking, we had an indoor one and we ate the chicken for dinner because it took so long to cook.

First aid challenge was a breeze. The questions were not that hard but the problem was how to carry the handicapped people. And we lagged behind by one station but its okay because the point of this game was about the first aid knowledge I think.

Campfire was nice, although my patrol’s performance was weird because we changed the script last minute and all, but I think the emcees did a great job! Played some games after that and it was really really fun.

Had sentry duty at around 1.30am and went to sleep after that.

On the third day, the good thing was that we didn’t have to strike tent which means we had more time for other things. Cleaned the gadget poles and I admit that I was talking to people and not cleaning the poles. Had guides own and our manitos were revealed.

Then it was prize-giving! Our patrol got the MOST ORIGINAL CHEER! I think everybody knows about our patrol’s cheer already, because it was so original! :D

Then cleared all the rubbish and came back to school!Basically I think the food was veryvery nice because we cooked in the kitchen. :D

For duties, my patrol did wood and water for the first day and we just lighted the kerosene lamps and helped other patrols. For the second day we were supposed to do cooks but we didn't because the ma'ams helped us to cook dinner so that we can play our games. (thanks!) For the third day we did health but I went to take out all the gadgets. But it was very hard to take out because it was wet and it started raining halfway.

Overall, I thank all the leaders for organising this camp! We know it has been hard on you, and we really appreciate your efforts. :D

However, there is something which I hope can be changed. Can we take our own stuff when we load the things into the bus instead of just taking somebody else's bags? Because when we came back from Camp Christine I lost my shoe bag with a plastic bag and it contained many important things inside, and nobody seemed to have it. So to prevent confusion can we just take our own stuff?
YunJin
iScream - QM!
We're not.. iPod!
We're not.. iMac!
We're not.. iGallop!
We're.. iScream! :D

No comments: