Friday, March 21, 2008

Daxaniie's Reflection

Way before the camp, I was quite nervous, as being a sec 3, I knew that it was sure going to be stressful. There's a lot of expectations and juniors to set a good example to and also ensure that people get a good impression of me. However, the camp was alright, and did not turn out to be too tough. Sure there were time limits to be met, and things to be done and punishments, we were required to overexert ourselves. As I was the PS of my patrol, my roles were not too demanding as the others as mine unlike theirs, was more of a supporting role and I still had my PL to depend on. However I knew that there were still things required to do. While we were heading for Camp Christine, my heads were filled with thoughts as I tried to recall what happened in the training camp the previous year, and hoping that that experience would guide me this year.

Once we reached the campsite, we had to unload our bags and all the other fodstuff and quickly move them to the Pax Lodge. After transferring everything, we had to get ready to pitch our tent, which was what I had been looking forward to. I was required to bring the mallets and thus I hurried off to the canoeshed, where I ended up carrying the box full of pegs. It was really heavy and I was only able to carry it on my own for a few metres, as I felt that the edges of the box were cutting into my fingers. However, I managed to bring it over to my tent site with the help of Siti. Then, my patrol gathered our stuff to pitch the tent. It was quite ok, except that we took quite long to pitch the tent. After pitching our tents, we had to make our gadgets. However, ther were not enough 72" poles and we had to sort of improvise our gadgets on the spot. But, we still managed to make satisfactory gadgets, even though the persistent rain slowed us down. At night, we had our night game. The storyline was interesting, although as we went on to our different stations, I had some difficulty interpreting from the clues. For one of our station, at the canoeshed, I had to lead my patrol there. It was not scary being the first person until a Mam appeared out of nowhere and ran towards me! But I was really scared at Jie Ling and Jia Hui or Yi Teng Mams' station, as again I was the first person, along with Cheryl and it was totally dark. Although I did not cry during the night game, some Mam said that I cried, which made me feel disheartened as i really had put in a lot of effort to overcome my fear of the dark.

Those were the major happenings in the first day and soon enough, we were in our sleeping in our tent, on top of newspapers and the groundsheet, anticipating the next day full of activities. Sure enough, the 2nd day started off big and we had to run a long distance. I found it refreshing though. The second day was full of games and activities, such as outdoor cooking and the night game. outdoor cooking did not turn out great as it started raining, and we could not start a fire outside. Moreover, I could not locate my patrol's hanger for our bell chicken! Luckily, I managed to get one, though it was not ours. When the indoor fire was up, I was required to cook the potatoes and corn, and I ended up overcooking the corn and undercooking the potatoes! But it turned out to be ok afetr Cheryl and Pei Xuan took over. My patrol's bell chicken was the last to be cooked and we had to finish it during dinner that day. After dinner, one of the most anticipated part of the camp: our campfire! It was indoor again as it had rained a lot that day. It was really fun and I was busy laughing along with the others, watching the other patrols' humorous performances. The MCs were also really fun! They made the whole camp enjoyable. Ours was quite alright, though it turned out to be quite a confusing story outline. Nevertheless, it was a good experience going out to perform and hear our fellow guides cheering for us. Sadly, good things do have to come to an end, and very soon. All things do have to come to an end, and soon enough the next day we were packing up to go home, after doing our duties. I had to kill countless of insects in the toilet.

It was a good camp overall, and I found my patrol cooperative and willing to work together. However, I must apologise to them for not marching properly during colours ansd being unsure about certain things. However, this camp will still be a memorable experience for me.

Daxaniie

No comments: