Saturday, March 22, 2008

Cheng Yee's Reflection

At first, I was very nervous about the camp because it was the sec 2s' first guides training camp, but after the whole experience, it wasn't as bad as I originally thought! Despite the bad weather, we still finished all the activities in the proposal, according to Ma'am. Here's a brief overview of my feelings throughout the camp...

DAY 1
At Camp Christine, we set up the tent. My patrol did the job quite well, but the tent's support poles were still a bit slanted. We proceeded on to do the gadgets. BIG PROBLEM. There were not enough 72' poles for everyone, so we had to improvise - tie 2 shorter poles together. Eventually, we managed to get a few 72' poles, enough for our clothes line at least... That same night, we had our Night Game. I just kept reminding myself 'it's just your sec 4s with red paint and cheap props' (no offense...) and eventually, no one in my patrol screamed, I think. It was rather creepy at night, I must admit.

DAY 2
Outdoor cooking was the main focus that day for me. Me and Samantha had the fire going, until it rained. HARD. We had to rush out of the rain and save our food ingredients before they got soaked. So everyone fled to the lodge, waiting for further instructions. We had to share a barrel to cook our food for lunch. So in the end, our lunch was at 2pm - 3pm. But thanks to Hui Xin ma'am, our lunch was saved! Yay! Then the campfire: IT WAS AWESOME! Although it was an indoor campfire (due to the rain), we still had a lot of fun. My patrol's performance was a parody of Powerpuff Girls, where the 3 girls, Outwit, Outshine and Outlast, fought the evil Mojopojo, who was giving the citizens of Camp Christine a lot of punishment. (no offense again...) And sadly, I was Mojopojo. Jia Min still teases me about it...

DAY 3
We packed up everything and got on the bus. Everyone slept peacefully on the bus (I think) with the thought that we could finally be back home in a matter of minutes! I don't know about anyone else, but I really, really missed my home. Wonder how I even survived that 10 days in Chengdu...

CONCLUSION
The games were... erm... amusing yet embarassing. Especially the one where we passed the food items from 1 person to another... well, at least we cleaned the floor! ^^;;

The camp was very meaningful as it taught me how to work better with others and I formed friendships with my patrol members. I hope next year's training camp would be as good as this years!
-Cheng Yee, O3

1 comment:

Icepath said...

You really put much thought into writing this article...so unlike you... congrats on accomplishing this...hehe

Icy shall leave you with this to ponder over about...I read this and i feel like i wanna go for this camp of yours too.