Saturday, March 22, 2008

Jun Ying's Reflection

Outwit, Outshine, Outlast
Annual Training Camp Reflection

I wasn’t anticipating this camp very much on the first day of camp, as I learnt that ZiYun, my PS, was sick and is not going for the camp. I felt rather reluctant to even move when I woke up that morning. But on the last day of camp, I felt very proud of myself for pulling through the 3D2N camp!:D

DAY ONE
On the way to Camp Christine, my patrol members and I were discussing about how to edit the campfire item and the allocation of duties as ZiYun wasn’t here with us. When we reached the campsite, we started with tent pitching. The tent was really very, very heavy and there was a hole at the tent door! It was confusing at first, but we were able to sort it out soon after. Then we started gadget-making. I suddenly realize that I did not remember how many poles we needed in all. But with the help of haiys, we thought of new ways to build the gadgets.

Then we had nasi lemak for lunch, it refreshed my memory of camp last year. It was nice, but just a tad too oily for my stomach to contain. After lunch, we had games. The games were really fun, the rubber band and plastic cup game was very innovative. The flour and gummy game made us felt rather ‘dough-ish’. After which, we played the flour and ping pong soccer game. It was quite competitive and the ping pong balls kept dropping off the table. Next was the disgustingly fun sandwich game, we were quite slow at first, but we were the first to finish up the sweat and dirt filled sandwich though. I want to thank QianCi for eating the tomato which dropped a thousand times, and all other patrol members who helped finish the whole sandwich together. But all these games really bonded us closer together.

Then we had dinner and COH. I was the first one to start, and didn’t know what exactly to say… but it was quite fun overall. Then it was night games, before night games, Haiys and I accidentally opened the door to one of the ‘crime scenes’ situated at the toilet. So, it wasn’t as scary when we went there during the night game. The night game was not as scary as expected. My patrol was using laughter to help lessen the tension during the game and HuiXin ma’am came to us and asked us to soften down and take the game seriously as we were too noisy and bouncy. Throughout the game, we got a few shocks and scares here and there, but being in a group lessens the fear. I was proud of my sec 2s as none of them cried!

After the night game, we laid our tents with newspaper and sprayed the entire tent with insect repellent which didn’t smell nice. Then went for a shower and supper before heading to bed.

DAY TWO
We woke up at about slightly before 6 the next day and cleared our newspapers and groundsheets. Then went for a run outside Camp Christine as PT. After which, we had breakfast then patrol duties. My patrol was supposed to clean the toilets. Many thanks to Valerie ma’am and ChuYun ma’am who helped us clean the toilets. After that, we played a game which requires us to explore the whole Camp Christine. When asking for clues, we had to entertain the ma’ams so my patrol did the chicken dance and banana dance for quite a number of times.

Then came outdoor cooking, the weather turned bad when we were preparing for it. Therefore, we had ‘indoor’ cooking instead. Million thanks to HuiXin ma’am and HuiYing ma’am who helped us cook our food and kept the fire going despite the heat. Then we had the FA game, and I had to be carried around by Finn. I felt very guilty and uncomfortable when being carried. Fortunately, I was able to recover pretty soon. And bringing Haiys, who was ‘blind’ around was very fun as she really trusts us and we could really go very fast. We were being praised to be very efficient as the stations too!

Then we had our yet another indoor campfire. It was pretty fun and really funny. But I was feeling very tired and drowsy due to my medications so I couldn’t get ‘high’. Our performance didn’t went as well as expected as we did not rehearse before hand…

DAY THREE
The third day, my patrol was supposed to report at 6am for cooks duty but we all overslept. Everyone was probably really very tired. We prepared sandwiches for breakfast late and missed PT. After which, we took down all gadget poles and due to the rain, we did not have to strike our tents! This saved us heaps of time. Then we sorted out our gadget poles and revealed our Manito. Then we had prize giving, WITTIES won the best patrol award!:D then we packed up and head back to school and civilization!(:

Last but not least, I would like to thank all my patrol members co-operating and for all that they have done during the camp! And ZiYun too, for her help when doing the proposal and pre-camp preparations(: and thanks leaders, for planning such a memorable and meaningful camp.

JUNYING
WITTIES
p.s sorry for the late submission.

No comments: