Monday, March 26, 2007

Rachel's Reflection

Personally speaking, I feel that this year’s training camp is definitely better and more memorable. I had really wanted to go for sec 3 adventure camp, but training camp came along and clashed with the dates. It was quite a pity, although I did not regret. Not even one bit. What I brought home wasan experience I could have nowhere.

This year, I went to training camp with a status of a sec 3. Of course, with age comes more responsibility, and tasks were heavier compared to lastyear’s. Perhaps this is why I feel camp was a more strenuous, unlike last .But I was very glad and thankful that on the second night we were not woken up to do PT as we already had very little sleep.

The role I had was quarter mistress, and while other patrol members were pitching their own tents, the QMs helped build the kitchen shelter etc. we were unable to finish on time due to mistakes, thus having to redo manytimes. Deepest apologies. And so, while others proceeded with their games,we QMs and other seniors were building the kitchen dresser etc. I know saying this will make many hate me, but I still, I really want to say this.I feel that the whole thing wasn’t totally our(sec3 Qms) fault. Yes, we made mistakes on our part, but I don’t feel that we were in the wrong for everything! I won’t elaborate what happened, but I do hope such things won’t happen again.

Half the time it was storming, and because of that the grass was muddy and our shoes were totally soaked. But too bad we can’t control the weather and only could live with it. However, the weather did not dampen my spirits as the games that were planned for us were very fun! It really did help to bond us even closer together, I guess. Plus, the food was much delicious this year too! So overall, despite the severe lack of sleep, I feel that camp was rather enjoyable.

The night walk was rather challenging. The grass and leaves keep getting in my face and I really hate them! The slopes were really steep, and I was so stupid, I fell into this muddy patch. Anyway the stars are extremely beautiful there. They are so bright and shiny! Never seen stars like those before.

The next morning we were woken up at 5plus. I barely slept because my sleeping position was really uncomfortable, and I didn’t dare to move forfear of waking up the people beside me. So while others were snoring happily, I tried my best to fall asleep. Blame it on the fact that I’m such a light sleeper.

So after the punishments and all, we played this bottle game. Next was outdoor cooking. I was really hungry after the preparation and everything,and we ate our chicken and pizza with relish. I think our patrol did a really good job and that’s great!

The campfire was taken place indoors as it rained. I preferred it indoors asI felt it was much more enjoyable. I was already quite tired by that time,but I tried to be high and screamed like there was no tomorrow.

And next, night game was very fun! Personally, I feel that it’s fun because it was scary! We weren’t supposed to scream, and I also prepared myself not to scream. But we screamed anyway, as I really had no idea it was going tobe scary! Since last year’s night game was not at all scary, I had this mentality that this year’s won’t scare me too. But I was proved wrong and itwas super exciting and thrilling and exhilarating!!! I loved and enjoyed this part of the camp best!

On the last day we had to stay back to strike tents, and frankly speaking, I wasn’t exactly happy about the turn of events and the last minute changes.But nevertheless, I was intent on finishing up fast so we could all go home early. I think most of us had the same thought as me, probably that’s why we managed to pitch SIX tents within thirty minutes.

The night before I went for training camp, I remembered telling myself not to slack and just put in my hundred percent in what I do. I felt so proud after this camp. Of myself, and of all of us!

To my patrol members- I apologize if I was snappy and vented my frustrationson you people. Sorry for being so mean!

Last of all, much thanks to the seniors and everyone else who had help plan this camp. Really appreciated all of your efforts to make this camp a success. At least to me, it’s a success cuz it was very memorable, and Itruly enjoyed it even though it was rather tough at times.

A big thank you to everyone. It’s a blessing to have all of you around withme. I sincerely thank you. It’s an experience that will always stay in me,and you are part of it. ((:

Rachel.

No comments: